Wednesday, December 3, 2008

America Week

We studied America and elections. I took Benjamin to the polls with me so he could watch the process of voting.







Here is our America lapbook:

I just made the title and Googled USA maps.


We talked about how our state is one of fifty.


I used this minibook.


We included an Electoral College map that he colored and a local voters guide. We talked about how the people in the guide were trying to get jobs and we were voting for the ones that we thought were best for those jobs.


Benjamin was very interested in the presidents, so we went a little further with that than I had originally anticipated. I was reading through a list of their names and he became very excited by all the 'Thomas', 'Adams', and the 'Benjamin' names. He then began to repeat me as I said a name. He asked me to read through them several times. By the time I had said them through three times, he was telling me most of their last names once I said the first name.

I used this link for parts of the presidents page.



This is the reading list:

Presidents by James Barber
America Votes: How Our President is Elected by Linda Granfield
The Train of States by Peter Sis


Here are some sites I used a lot:

whitehouse.gov
bensguide.gpo.gov

0 comments: